Skip to main content

Meeting My Sister Friend in Korah - Guest Post by Sarah Apperloo


Recently I went on a trip to Ethiopia. This was a wonderful experience filled with many wonderful memories. The highlight was meeting my Sister Friend, Laway! 


About three years ago our church started the Brother Sister Friend program. At first I was wondering if this was something I would be interested in or if someone across the world would even be willing to talk with me. After thinking about this for a whole year, I decided to give it a shot. I wrote a letter to a girl in Ethiopia. As Eve left to Ethiopia so did my letter… going across the world to just another girl. 

Soon enough I received a letter back. I was so excited! Not only did I have a new friend, I had someone who - yes, may live far away, but she was someone I could talk to, pray for and be friends with. You might wonder how someone could be friends when living so far

 


away, but Laway and I became really close. One day I received a friend request on Facebook. I was surprised & excited to find out that my pen pal also had Facebook! Ever since then we began talking more and more, becoming closer than we were before. I later found out that Eve was going to Ethiopia in May and it was something I had always wanted to do. So I made an effort to see if this would work with school & my family. Sure enough, I could make it - I was going to Ethiopia! 

It was so exciting to be in Ethiopia. Eve had arranged through a HFK social worker that I could meet my sister friend! I couldn’t believe it - my sister friend who I have been talking with over letters and Facebook, except this was in person!! Meeting Laway in person was the highlight of this trip. Meeting in person is nothing like talking through a letter or over the phone. It was an amazing experience and something I will never forget. We connected so well, Laway was like a friend that I had known forever. I was able to see her personality and how she lives. I was able to have a taste of her life. This meant so much to me and we talked for a long time. It was like having a best friend that you haven't seen in a while and so you just talk. That's what this was like. It's hard to explain but Laway and I connected and it was all because of one letter 3 years ago. It was the one letter that made this friendship what is today.


"My Sister, My Friend"

Brother Sister Friend Party

Out for lunch after the BSF Party


If you would like information 
on how you can become a

Brother Sister Friend 
email Rita at bsf@hopeforkorah.com


NEXT MAIL TO KORAH DUE
at the Hope for Korah Office by 
AUGUST 23RD


Comments